MLK takes us over the Himalayan range from the southern lush green valley of Manali in Himachal Pradesh to the arid high mountain desert of Ladakh. The journey takes us over some high passes, such as Rohtang Pass, Baralacha La, Nakee La, Lachung La & Tanglang La. Tanglang La is the second highest motor able pass in the world at 5360m / 17585ft, next only to Khardung La. The climax of the expedition is to finish the journey by cycling to WORLDS HIGHEST MOTORABLE ROAD POINT – ‘KHARDUNG LA’ – 5602m / 18380 ft.
Dates : 9th July 2017 to 22nd July 2017
Fees : ₹ 54,000/-
Cycles : To be provided on rent on the tour
Places Covered : Lahaul, Chandratal, Bhagatal, Sarchu, Pang, Kullu, Baralacha La, Ladakh
Day 1: 9th July - Reach Delhi
Day 2: 10th July - Bus to Manali. Stay in Manali
Day 3: 11th July - Manali - Practice & Acclimatization Ride
Day 4: 12th July - Stay at Marrhi - 40 Kms.
Day 5: 13th July - Stay at Sissu - 65 Kms. (Cross Rohtang Pass)
Day 6: 14th July - Stay at Jispa - 55 Kms.
Day 7: 15th July - Stay at Bara La Cha Camp - 40 Kms.
Day 8: 16th July - Stay at Brandy Nala - 65 Kms. (Cross Bara La Cha Base Camp)
Day 9: 17th July - Stay at Pang - 60 Kms. (Cross Gata Loops, Naki La and Lachulang La)
Day 10: 18th July - Stay at Tso Kar - 50 Kms.
Day 11: 19th July - Stay at Lato - 65 Kms. (Cross TangLang La - 2nd Highest motorable road in the world)
Day 12: 20th July - Stay at Leh - 70 Kms.
Day 13: 21st July - Climb Khardung La and Stay at Leh (80 Kms. Climb Khardung La - Highest motorable pass in the World)
Day 14: 22nd July - Fly to Pune.
Below is the practise ride schedule for MLK 2017
In addition to the above schedule, please do the following exercises :
1: Cycling of about 20 kms. (1 hour approx.) in and around Pune, at least 2 times a week - Some of the standard routes include :
A. Karve Road – law College Road – Symbiosis – University Chowk – NCL Road – Pashan – Necklace Road – Chandani Chowk – Karve Road
B. Swargate – Shankar Sheth Road – Golibar maidan – Race Course – Arjun Road – Circuit House – Hotel Blue Diamond – Pune Central Mall – Bund Garden Road – RTO – Sangam Bridge – J M Road – Alka Talkies – Tilak Road – Swargate
C. Deccan – Karve Road – Paud Road – Chandani Chowk – NDA road – NDA gate and return to Chandni Chowk
D. Pune Stn. – Bund Garden Road – Bund garden Bridge – to Left towards Vishrantwadi – via Alandi Road – Central Jail – Golf Course – gunjan Theatre Chowk and back to Pune Stn.
2 : Gymnasium Exercises : Minimum 2 days a week to build muscle strength for the Lower body and Upper Body. Walking / Jogging / Running on a track.
3 : Yoga Exercises : Early Morning and every day. Yogasanas are recommended mainly for : a.) For lower back stretch & b.) For overall body stretch.
4 : Suryanamaskar : Daily - Minimum 25 reps.
5 : Pranayam Exercises : Early morning daily for 15 minutes minimum. To include: a.) Bhasarika b.) Kapalbhati c.) Anulomb & Vilomb
Q 1. Do you really think I can cycle from Manali to Leh?
Yes! The ride is absolutely achievable for most casual cyclists, even those who initially think it’s impossible. We arrange group practice sessions in Pune, beginning in April. You will however, need to train sincerely and regularly as each training day will involve 4 – 8 hours on the bike.
Q 2. What is the cost of this trip?
The Bike-Ladakh : MLK tour will cost Rs.48,090/ + Bike Rental fees(14.5% service tax excluded). We are working on finalizing the final costing.
Q 3. What does the cost of the trip include?
The cost includes the following :
1. Tents, Sleeping bags (Holofil), Rucksack, Wind Proof Jackets and Carry mats.
2. Ponchos (Water Proof).
3. A Portable Hyperbaric Chambers (Inflatable PAC) – GAMOW BAG- Severe Altitude Diseases i.e. AMS, HAPO and HACO would place at High Camps only.
4. Oxygen Cylinder.
5. Quality vegetartian food of your choice.
6. Complete camping facilities.
7. Mechanic, Guide, Cook and camp helpers.
8. One Jeep/ utility Van as backup vehicle will follow the members depending upon the size of the group.
9. Hotel accommodation as per our itinerary at our selected hotel.
10. Hotel accommodation on arrival and on the last day of bike at our selected hotels.
11. Four persons will be accommodated in one tent.
13. Inner line permission.
14. Good Quality, New Mountain Bikes (YEAR 2015 models) appropriate for the ride.
15. 3 Expert Guides who have been in the cycling field and event organizing for atleast 8 years
16. Bicycle Ride Training Sessions starting March 2015.
17. Yoga and Pranayama Session for better breathing at High Altitude.
18. First Aid Administration at High Altitude and Prevention and attention to High Altitude Mountain Sickness (HAMS), High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE) and High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE) workshops.
19. Briefings every month to supervise and regroup.
20. Bike Maintanance workshops and basic bicycle know how to prevent bicycle mishaps during the tour
Q 4. What does the cost of the trip not include?
The cost does not include the following :
1. Travel Transport to Delhi
2. Personal expenses, en route (drinks while biking and Tipping)
3. Personal expenses and sightseeing in and around.
4. Cancellation, Insurance and Risk and Release.
5. Emergency evacuation costs, there will be no refund of payments once the Biking commences and Camera Fees.
6. The Personal porterage and horses are for carrying of individual kit and Tipping.
7. Personal Cycling Gear (like Helmets, Gloves, Shoes etc.)
Q 5. Can I bring my own bike?
No. We provide bikes as per your size alongwith spares. Past experiences with earlier trips has taught us well.
Q 6. Can I ask for a bike of a particular size?
Yes. We want you to be comfortable. Within reason depending on the bikes we use (S/M/ L or 15”/ 17”/ 19”/ 20”).
Q 7. Will there be Medical Aid on the tour?
Yes, there will be a complete first aid kit and a Gamow Bag available for treating patients on site. We also have Back Up Vehicles which transfer patients straight to the closest hospitals.
(a) If Client needs better hotel accommodation then these rates will be quoted extra as per demand.
(b) Itinerary is subject to change due to landslides and other natural calamities. In the case of such an event, optional routes/ itinerary will be given/followed at the affected point.
(c) In case of changes in routes and properties, Lifecycle or any of Lifecycle's staff members will accept no liability but make arrangements for substitution of equal measure.
(d) In case of accident, illness, injury or mishappening, Lifecycle or any of Lifecycle's staff members will accept no liability or its staff wholly or partially, responsible for the same.
Watch out for this space for next year's tour details!
461/1, Sadashiv Peth, Pantancha Gate,
Near New English High School,
Opp. Hyundai Kothari, Tilak Road,
Pune - 411 030.
+91-77220 12550, +91-77220 12551, +91-99755 20268